Our goal is to improve oral health for adolescents, so they can enter adulthood with a confident, healthy smile.
There are a number of adolescent dental care providers (dentists contracted by Te Whatu Ora, Health New Zealand) that provide free dental care for teenagers from Year 9 until their 18th birthday* in your community.
Enrolling with one of these dentists means your teenager is entitled to a dental exam every 12 months and basic treatments FREE of charge. (Free dental care does not include orthodontic work or tooth whitening)
If your teenager has not had a dental exam in the last 12 months, or requires urgent dental care, and they are:
- Already enrolled with a free adolescent dental care provider, please contact their dentist directly. A list of providers and their contact numbers can be found here.
- Not enrolled with a free adolescent dental care provider, please choose a dentist from the adolescent dental care provider list and contact them directly to enrol your teenager and book an appointment for them.
If you require further assistance, please call the Adolescent Oral Health Coordinator on (04) 570 9273 or email Adolescent_Oral_Health@huttvalleydhb.org.nz
*If your teenager turned 18 years old between 18 August 2021 and 30 December 2022, and did not receive their free dental checkup and/or treatment while aged 17 years old, they are eligible for a final dental exam and completion of one course of treatment before 30 December 2022 (Covid claiming extension).
If your child is currently in Year 8, this is the last year they will have their dental check at a Bee Healthy Dental Clinic or Mobile Van. At the beginning of Year 9, your child’s dental care will be transferred to an adolescent dental care provider, this may include your current family dentist.
The transfer process is easy:
- In year 8, your child will bring home a letter with the name of an approved adolescent dental provider they have chosen to continue their dental care from year 9 until they turn 18 years old (this is done with the support of their Bee Healthy dental therapist).
- You may change to another approved adolescent dental provider or, to your current family dentist, by calling (04 570 9273. If your current family dentist is not listed in the directory, your child’s dental care may not be free. Please discuss with your dentist.
- Once you and your child are happy with the provider you have chosen… it’s all done! You will be contacted by your new dental provider at the start of year 9 to enrol with their practice and book an appointment.
New to the Greater Wellington Region?
Contact one of the dentists on this list directly to enrol your child to receive free dental care from Year 9 until 18th birthday.
No longer at school?
Dental care is still FREE until your child's 18th birthday even if they are no longer at school. If they not already enrolled with an approved adolescent dental provider, contact one of the dentists on this list to enrol with them directly.