Dental care is free for children from birth until their 18th birthday…That’s something to smile about!
Bee Healthy Regional Dental Service is the community-based dental service providing free (publically-funded) dental care for children in the Greater Wellington Region (Wellington, Hutt Valley, Mana and Kāpiti Coast).
Dental care during Christmas and New Year Holiday period 2020-2021
Bee Healthy dental hub clinics will be closed for the holiday period from 18th December 2020 and reopen from 20 January 2021. Our call centre will be closed from 18th December 2020 and reopen to take your calls on 11 January 2021.
If your child requires an urgent dental appointment between:
- 19th to 23rd December 2020 or 5th to 19th January 2021: please contact one of the special contracted dentists listed here, or your teenager’s adolescent dental provider if they are in Year 9 or above.
- 24th December 2020 to 4th January 2021: please ring (04) 474 2234 to find a dentist working on that day or click here to see the Emergency Dental Service Provider Roster.
Please note: not all dentists are contracted providers of free dental care for children, you will need to check this when you ring. If the dentist is not a contracted provider you will be a charged for any treatment received.
Please note that this service is not available after hours. For facial swelling or trauma, you are advised to go to your local hospital emergency department.
Dental Therapists provide children an annual dental examination from their 2nd birthday onwards.
- Preschool children are seen at their nearest Dental Hub.
- School aged children receive their examination at school on a mobile van. If treatment is required, parents/caregivers are contacted by the Dental Therapist to make an appointment at their nearest Dental Hub.
Click here for more information and how to enrol or book an dental appointment for preschool and school aged children.
- Teenagers receive dental care from a dentist in the community from Year 9 who will continue to provide free care* until their 18th birthday, even if you are no longer at school (*excludes orthodontic treatment).
Click here for information about accessing free dental care for college aged teenagers.
Bee Healthy Regional Dental Service is able to provide the full range of FREE dental care services including general dental examinations, routine care, and school mobile dental visits under Alert Level 1.
If you need to make an appointment please call us on 0800 TALK TEETH (0800 825 583).
If your child has a dental appointment and they are unwell, please call us so we can rebook their appointment for a later date, when they are feeling better.