Dental care is free for children from birth until their 18th birthday…That’s something to smile about!
Bee Healthy Regional Dental Service is the community-based dental service providing free (publically-funded) dental care for children in the Greater Wellington Region (Wellington, Hutt Valley and Kapiti Coast).
COVID-19 UPDATE: Temporary Closure
Following the recommendation from the New Zealand Dental Council, Bee Healthy will be closed and will not undertake routine examinations or treatments (either on the mobile treatment vans at schools or in the dental hubs) until further notice. Urgent treatments are an exception, and will still be performed.
The purpose of closing the service at this time is because dental treatment requires close face to face contact, which increases the risk of infection, and therefore is not appropriate at this time.
We will review this decision regularly, and we will reopen for regular assessments and treatments as soon as it is safe to do so.
If your child has an existing dental appointment (as of 20/3/20):
You will be contacted by Bee Healthy (from Monday 23 March) to have your appointment either:
- Confirmed if it is for urgent dental care or
- Postponed if it is for non-urgent dental care
Bee Healthy will be contacting and confirming appointments with those requiring urgent dental care in the first instance, followed by calls to postpone those with non-urgent dental appointments.
If your child is in pain
Bee Healthy will still provide urgent dental treatment if your child is in pain. Please phone 0800 TALK TEETH (0800 825 583) and we will book you in at the closest hub that is accepting urgent treatment.
Dental Therapists provide children an annual dental examination from their 2nd birthday onwards.
- Preschool children are seen at their nearest Dental Hub.
- School aged children receive their examination at school on a mobile van. If treatment is required, parents/caregivers are contacted by the Dental Therapist to make an appointment at their nearest Dental Hub.
Click here for information on how to enrol or book an dental appointment for preschool and school aged children.
- Teenagers receive dental care from a dentist in the community from Year 9 who will continue to provide free care* until their 18th birthday, even if you are no longer at school (*excludes orthodontic treatment).
Click here for information about accessing free dental care for college aged teenagers.